Castable door

I finally got around to doing a job today that I’ve been putting off for months. About a year ago I cast six big blocks to use as the front door for the kiln. They really work great keeping most of the heat from the front of the kiln away from the stokers.

Unfortunately though, I kept putting off casting the final top of the arch. Filling in that final space with smaller bricks was problematic because we kept knocking bricks into the kiln when we stoked.

So this morning I finally bit the bullet and gathered together some scrap wood, bricks, plastic, and cardboard, hauled out some leftover castable mix and cast two arch pieces.

With 75 kilograms of castable mix I got two arch sections and the leftover made a new stoke hole cover.
image

image

Duct tape played a major role in holding the flange section of the form together. Love the stuff.
image

image

image

2 thoughts on “Castable door”

  1. Brilliant idea to use the corrugation to separate the two pieces.

    Curious how much your blocks weigh. Seems that they may be quite heavy. Perhaps casting some bent rebar as handles into the front would be useful.

    1. They’ll be heavy, probably 30kg give or take. They look heavier because of the overlapping flange. Without the flange they are actually pretty small compared to the other blocks. The corrugated roofing was an idea I thought was worth a try, since I had some laying around. I hope it works out. I really didn’t want to cast the two sections separately.

Comments are closed.