Finally getting back to work after a very long hiatus, looking forward to posting to the blog much more. I spent some time this last couple of days repairing a large jar that had fallen over during a firing. It had stuck to the floor in a couple of places and when we pulled it up it took a couple of big chunks out of the pot.
I have been saving some knots from a pine board and the nuts were filled with pitch and very hard. when polished they were actually quite translucent and when oiled they shine really nicely. I never decided what they would be good for but when I saw this hole in the jar I thought one of these might be the perfect way to fix it.
I don’t have a picture of the original hole but this is the hole after I ground it out and created a gallery for the wood knot.
Here it is lit from the inside.
And finally with the lacquer in gold treatment. This is a reddish gold color because it’s not actually gold, but rather a mixture of brass and mica.