The unloaded pots have now been hammered, moved inside the studio, or are getting refired. The ones that have been moved inside the studio are starting to get cleaned up and polished, in preparation for next spring’s shows.
All in all, there were some 750+- pots in this load. I’m not sure of an exact number because I started smashing before I had a count.
Here are some of the pots that I started cleaning up today. Most of them are small dishes, ranging from 10 – 17cm across. All sizes listed are width, and are approximate measurements.
Here are images from Saturday’s unloading of the kiln. Some good, some bad, but mostly good.
Most problems came from mistakes made with clay or glazes, the firing of the kiln was exactly how I planned… first time ever.
Got a nice gradient from about cone 12-13 in front, to cone 6-7 in the back of the first chamber, and an overall cone 6-7 in the rear chamber.
Biggest problem was crawling of iron brushwork on raw ware. I will touch up bare spots and refire these.
Lost both big slabs, which both cracked BADLY.
Madara and E-Madara items came out really nice overall, with lots of subtle blues.
This is an underglaze decorated madara glazed yunomi fired in the wood kiln in 2013. It was heavily reduced in the firing, resulting in the dark clay color and carbon trapping in the glaze.
It is a small yunomi, and could almost be called a large guinomi, and certainly has the character of a guinomi. People generally confuse guinomi with sakazuki (sake cups), but Guinomi are cups used for tea, sake, whiskey, etc…, that have a higher status among pots than yunomi, because they are usually one of a kind pieces, not made in large batches like yunomi usually are. Think of them as a sort of ‘mini chawan’.
Item size: approx. 7.5H x 6.0W cm
Price includes signed and stamped wood box.
Workshop in Taku, 2014. This is what you get when a professional photographer runs wild, and is kind enough to share. Thank you Robert (Brad) Haughie!
Today the second chamber was finally finished. I’m not going to brick it in yet, since I have probably forgotten something important, and I want quick access if necessary, until the fire is actually lit. Unbricking an rebricking a door would be on my list of less than desirable ways to spend a day.
While the farther stack was packed with more vanilla type blended clay bodies, this front stack is mostly bodies composed entirely of native clay and stone. Some of it got white slip, but it all got the same clear glaze, so I don’t have to guess too much about temp in the rear chamber when I fire.
Below are some pics of brush deco, slip, and loading. I am happier with a lot of the brush work this time around, but some things still just give me fits, like trying to draw long fluid shrimp whiskers on a round pot. Gah! Need more practice…