This is the new garden shed. 3×2.5×2.5 meters, lots of vertical space for tall stuff, perhaps hang a bicycle or two. Just finished the doors yesterday, lucked out in that they fit pretty well from the first try, just had to plane the top of the right door a bit because it was rubbing the frame. What’s left is the covering of the triangular space with acrylic panels to allow light in.
“How does this relate to Karatsu pots?” you may be asking yourself. Well, all of the garden tools, soil, bicycles, wood, and non clay related stuff that are taking up space in my studio will be moved to the shed, making way for a much needed major re-arranging of pottery space. Yes!
I finally got off my butt and built a clay drying platform for my recycled slurry and stuff that I bring back from the mountain. It’s made of standard cinderblocks and lined with some canvas. The canvas helps to keep everything fairly even, no dry edges and wet center. Pictured is when I had it with one side cloth, one side without, to see which worked better. The cloth side was the winner, hence the canvas.
Since these pics were taken, I’ve reconstituted about 100kg of clay I got from Nishioka Koju’s supply. It’s a beautiful clay that should make some wonderful pots. If you’ve ever seen any of Koju san’s work, you have an idea of the type of clay. It’s a real treasure that I’ll probably never have again.
Here are some of the other displays from the show:
First shown is Reid Ozaki, he put together a very nice display with plants from his garden and yard.
Next two are Matt Allison, I wish I had Matt’s technical skill…
Here is Sequoia Miller’s display, very nice work. Reminds me of Michael Hagedorn’s work. Michael stopped making pots some time ago in favor of becoming a Bonsai artist.
Like Matt, Sequoia’s work shows a great deal of precision and mastery of his materials.
Here is Ken Pincus’ display. I had other pics but for some reason they turned out blurry. Lots of yummy biidoro ash drips in Ken’s display. Ken and I’s lives are similar on so many fronts, it is almost distrubing 😉
This is Steve Sauer’s display. Steve obviously doesn’t have problems with back pain. He had the largest pieces in the show overall. I really liked his large platters, hikidashi work, and flower arranging vessels resembling boulders and mountains.
Hank Murrow is next with his lovely American shinos. Hank is the reason I was in the show this year, he was kind enough to pass along my request for an application, and introduced me to the people running the show. The afternoon of the show, Hank, Ken, John Fairman (the gallery owner) and I shared a few bowls of tea prior to the festivities. As we passed the bowls around oohing and aahing (about the tea and the bowls, Hank brought out a beautiful shino for the occasion), John made the hilarious observation that had this been 30 years ago, we probably would have been passing around a joint, and hadn’t times changed?
This last week was the Glenn Richards Mingei Pottery Show. Lots of fun and met lots of great people. This was the card from the show. My E-Madara Karatsu Mizusashi made the card, quite a surprise there.
Pictures of the work from the show coming soon…
Well, I’ve been thinking about how tricky it is to re-center a bat on the wheelhead with a half made piece on it without batpins.
My bats are all handmade from cedar planking, basically a flat bat with bar-like legs attached cross grain to prevent warping. I take four blobs of soft clay and stick the bat to the wheel head. Works like a charm, simple and cheap. Except, if you’re making a big piece and it needs a rest, you’re stuck with an occupied wheel head. Taking the bat off can be done but getting the piece centered again later is a bitch.
I was at the hardware store the other day and noticed some cabinet shelf pins. The pins screw into sleeves which are countersunk into holes in the workpiece, and I thought AHHHH!
With my trusty drill I put the holes in the wheelhead after establishing the best location. Tapped in the sleeves and added a dollop of glue to each hole, then screwed the pins in. Next, drilled my bats to fit the pin configuration. It took all of about an hour to set it all up. I’m looking forward to trying out the new system. After the clay blob method, I’m feeling positively modern….