I’ve gotten pretty far behind keeping up with the blog, falling into the bad habit of making small posts to Facebook. One of my areas of increased effort over the next year will be to work more on maintaining the blog, and getting it more integrated with other forms of social media. Trying to keep track of them all is like trying to herd cats.
I had made one promise to show before/after pictures for a couple of pieces, the first of which is the slab/paddle built sake chiller w/ feet and lugs:
The other thing I’ve been working on since early this year is getting a usable kohiki/clear glaze combination, because for some reason a lot of customers have been requesting white work. They have also been requesting black, so I’ve been working on getting a reliable semi matte black glaze. Mission not quite accomplished, but I feel I’m most of the way there. Here is the kohiki I’ve come up with and I am happy with it:
Here are some of the pieces with the new black glaze. It seems to look best thin, and as with most glazes looks nicer over interesting wild clays rather than processed clays.
I had to make a batch of slab plates after the fall wood kiln firing, because every one of my slabs cracked in that firing. Turns out the clay I used was high in silica, and didn’t agree with the long wood kiln firing. The silica turned into cristabolite, and all pots made with that clay experienced shivering, or cracking, no matter what glaze they were paired with, and across a range of temperatures.
Forward a few weeks, and I’m frantically trying to get some replacement plates fired because this weekend is the fall open studio event, followed by an exhibition in Nagasaki during the first week of Dec.
For the most part this firing went well, aside from the fact that I exploded my large platter. Drat.
The last of the teabowls and some larger pieces that will go in the front to get hammered by the fire. I’ll be putting more work around the firebox this time, probably half the volume of work in this firing will be in the front stack and around the firebox. This in response to an epiphany I had after the last firing when I realized how much space was going to waste around the front, and how a change in stacking configuration would allow for easier handling of certain pieces during the firing.
This time around I’m planning to shovel embers from under the grate and toss them back into the kiln on and around the work in the front area. I also made a primary air cover that should enable us to stand at the stoke for longer periods of time without fear of being bathed in flames.
I’m in the middle of loading the kiln for the fall firing, and suddenly realized I’ve forgotten to make any firebox suitable guinomi or chawan, so spent yesterday evening and this morning doing a batch of guinomi made from what I hope is a sufficiently refractory body for the most violent parts of the kiln. Teabowls this afternoon…