After starting the fire in the chimney, I got the damper hung and pulled it up. I kept stoking wood at the chimney to get it warm, and between stokes I was hanging the front stoke hole cover. Once that was done, I started the fire in the front to warm the kiln and dry it, and the ware, out.
I can’t describe how it feels to finally have a fire burning in this kiln. Just for fun I connected up the thermocouples and monitored the temperature on my PC. The door hanging went really well. It hangs just so, with enough friction to keep it from swinging around, but light enough that when you move it, it feels weightless. Did the preheating thing for a couple of hours before clamming up the front and back and coming inside. I’ll start it up again in the morning, and go the whole day, get everything nice and dry, then Friday morning we’ll start the ‘real’ firing.